[Time-Management] Mind, O My Dear Mind!

 

11th January 2012

Some of my readers give me the feedback that my `100 Days Improvement Plan' was more interesting than the NLP material I am now giving. True. There is a difference between useful and interesting. All useful things need not be interesting! NLP will be very useful to apply all the 100 improvements in our daily life. It is easy to write and easy to read about an idea. But between reading and applying, that too applying consistently, there will be big gap.

Let me give a small real anecdote that happened this morning and how I used the NLP presupposition to improve the quality of my interaction.

My family is in the business of distribution of consumer products. We decided to surrender one line of business and take on another. I mentioned this to my mother, who is not involved in the day to day running of the business. Immediately he response was that she is not happy about my decision and she expressed her views rather bluntly. My immediate response was anger and irritation. I controlled myself by recalling the following NLP presuppositions:

  • `The map is not the territory': She may not know all the facts I have to take the decision I took. In the absence of the total picture, she may be under the impression that I am taking a hasty decision.
  • `Behind every behaviour is a positive intention': After all she is genuinely interested in me. Otherwise, why would she comment on my decision?
  • Experience has a structure': Perhaps she does not have the relevant experience to appreciate my decision.

When I thought about the above presupposition, I was able to appreciate my mother's point of view!

N C Sridharan

www.thetimefoundation.com

000

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___