[Time-Management] Arise, awake and take charge!

 

21st January 2010

 

Your Skill Set is Your Treasure Box

 

Whenever a man does the best he can, then that is all he can do.

Harry S Truman

 

You may be working for someone or working for yourself. You may be earning in hundreds, thousands, lakhs or in millions. Your earning may be adequate or there is a gap between what you are earning and what you need to earn. The quality of your life depends on your earning capacity. Your salary is an index of how valuable is your time and what value it produces to others. One of the critical factors in life is the set of skills that you posses.

 

During our lifetime we pick up various skills, from the time we started speaking and walking. We picked up the skill of writing, drawing, computing, jumping, swimming etc. If you really list all the skills that human beings can acquire, the list can be endless. The skills can be basic survival skills to complicated higher order skills. If you do not have a skill at a specific point of time and if that skill is critical, you will suffer.

 

The availability of a skill alone will not decide its value. You need to ask the following questions:

 

  1. Where am I using my skill? Can I use the same skill to produce a  different result at another place?
  2. Who is the beneficiary of my skill? Can it be another person? Can more people benefit from my skill thereby producing more value to more number of people?
  3. What is the `commercial value' of my skill? Can I enhance the same by several times?
  4. How am I using my skill? Can I use the same even more effectively?

 

For example, if you have the skill of singing, ask yourself the above questions and frankly answer the same. Similarly, if you have the skill of playing chess, you can decide to play in the local club or in inter national tournaments. Depending on how and where you play, your earning will be more or less.

 

This weak end, do this exercise and seriously work out a strategy!

 

N C Sridharan

Visit my website for an exciting video clipping

www.thetimefoundation.com

000

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___